8.04.2006

My new lifestyle...

I had been contemplating becoming a full-fledged vegetarian for some time now. Please take a moment to check out the above link (click on title or www.veganoutreach.org). About two years ago, I gave up all animal products except fish & dairy because I became bored with what I was eating. I learned so much about eating & preparing vegetarian foods and felt lighter & healthier. I also wanted to make sure I got my 8-10 servings of fruits & veggies. Then I got tired of all the preparations involved in preparing meat-free meals, and went back to my carnivorous ways. I haven't been eating at fast food joints for a few years because I found out that the beaks of chickens are snipped with no anesthesia, and I certainly haven't been eating beef for a long time, except on occasion, since the mad cow outbreaks. Yeah, I am concerned with how animals are treated at "factory farms" and the lack of sanitation. We are what we eat afterall. Last Saturday, I went to "Synth Night" at Numbers Night Club, had a great time and when we were leaving, some emo dude was handing out these "Why Vegan" pamphlets (hence the above link). You can read the same pamphlet from the link. I was so disturbed by the graphic images and info, that I decided to give up beef, poultry & pork. If I don't know where it comes from, I won't eat it. Although I am a "tree hugger", being a Virgo and all, I am not an animal rights fanatic. I do believe a pecking order exists. Afterall, animals kill and eat each other (alive) in the wild. Although we're human, and can reason, we are not much higher than animals. I am frustrated with our choices nowdays and how people are more concerned with quantity over quality. My parents taught me at a young age to stand up for what you believe in. For example, when I was about 12 or 13, they decided to boycott all Proctor & Gamble products because they sponsored some garbage on television. I didn't understand what that meant at the time and felt humiliated because I couldn't have the "in" shampoo or deodorant or whatever. Now I understand what it means to not support what you don't believe in. We don't purchase Nike products for the same reason~they are a HUGE supporter of sweatshop labor. Besides, the CEO is an ass (we saw him in an interview-heartless %$*&!). So, I have made my decision to become vegetarian and boycott our meat industries and animal cruelties. For now, I will eat fish & dairy, but will continue to research and try to support local humane farmers, if possible. I urge you all to read that phamplet and rethink what you put in your own bodies. One of these days I will open a vegetarian restaurant out here. It will be big since we don't have one. I have a name and a business plan from a college assignment. I'm telling you.. just wait...

2 comments:

jen said...

Ooh, I'm ready already for the restaurant...What's the special today?

smoochgirl said...

Well, let's see, if anything there will be variety and the daily specials will depend on seasonal produce. In fact, I suspect the menu will change with each season so it's not the same thing every time you visit. Of course, there will be a few specialties that will be served year-round including, but not limited to roasted veggie ragout served over pasta or polenta or rolled up inside crepes. Also, plenty of soups, pasta dishes, and perhaps a few salads thrown into the mix as well as artesian breads. I don't want it to be typical or what non vegetarians would expect, such as tofu this or that. I plan to offer the flexibility of "veganizing" dishes so all types of vegetarians can eat here. I haven't really thought too much of the specifics nor have I eaten at more than a handful of vegetarian restaurants to compare notes and think I will do something differently or better. I've got alot of research to do before this dream becomes a reality.