8.27.2007

New Beginnings

My first day of school went really smooth today, which was surprising because I got maybe 2-3 hours of sleep last night. I always get "first day jitters" as it is, and have trouble sleeping, but we had this massive thunderstorm and the power blinked on and off a couple of times. The lightening was too close and a bit frightening. One of my biggest fears is being struck by lightening, even though the odds are ridiculously low. Hey, it happens!

It feels really good to be back, yet doesn't feel like I've been out. Kinda strange. My students seem eager to learn which is refreshing. I saw a student from last year who told me about her new pet turtle, Amelia! Such a great turtle name. Last year, she brought a box turtle to class that I turtlesat. Apparently, my love for turtles is contagious! At least I'm inspiring them constructive ways, if not artistic!

I decided to play some upbeat music as the kids entered the room. I thought "Hello" by The Beloved was appropriate, and my introductory presentation, which was completed just minutes before students arrived, was entitled the same. It made for a relaxing, upbeat ambiance and set the tone in a positive manner. It's very important that I establish a rapport with every student, and in return, I gain their respect and they are more motivated to work hard. I'm sure I will have a few that need more pushing than others, but I feel confident that we're off to a great start!

In closing, I leave you some words I find inspiring. They are some quotes I came across that really hit home since it's been a struggle to find what I need to advance my artistic career. Beginning is the most difficult part of the process for me because it feels so overwhelming, and the last few things I've started were disasters. I was not born to quit, so of course I'll keep going. I'm too stubborn to give up easily. I know I still have it in me somewhere, but in the mean time Procrastination stands in my way. I need to meditate on these words more than anyone:

"You will never reach your goal until you start to take action, any action. Doing nothing will get you nothing"
Byron Pulsifer, from Take Action; Don't Procrastinate

"If and When were planted, and Nothing grew."
Proverb

"The secret to a rich life is to have more beginnings than endings."
Dave Weinbaum

"Almost everything comes from nothing."
Henry F. Amiel

"All glory comes from daring to begin."
Eugene F. Ware

"Making the beginning is one third of the work."
Irish Proverb

"Don't be afraid if things seem difficult in the beginning. That's only the initial impression. The important thing is not to retreat; you have to master yourself." Olga Korbut KEY: You have to master YOURSELF.

"The distance is nothing; it's only the first step that is difficult."
Marquise du Deffand

"Every day is a new beginning. Treat it that way. Stay away from what might have been, and look at what can be."
Marsha Petrie Sue

"Desire is the starting point of all achievement, not a hope, not a wish, but a keen pulsating desire which transcends everything."
Napoleon Hill

"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing."
Walt Disney

"The greatest masterpieces were once only pigments on a palette."
Henry S. Hoskins

"Someday is not a day of the week."
Author Unknown

"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
Lao-Tsu

And finally, "Know the true value of time; snatch, seize, and enjoy every moment of it. No idleness; no laziness; no procrastination;
never put off till tomorrow what you can do today."
Lord Chesterfield

I truly believe in order to truly enjoy life you have to experience multiple opportunities, which may or may not yield positive results. That's how we learn and grow. I don't know what my problem is, but I'm going to kick Procrastination's ass! I've been guilty of talking and not doing and since I'm afraid of being labeled a flake, I've got to live up to my words. I have told all kinds of people about my plans to participate in upcoming art exhibits and now I have to follow through. I know I'm not alone, though. Jen and I went to talk to Max, the M2 gallery owner over the weekend, who is getting ready for a show of his own work and he's lacking pieces for it! And his deadline was in five days! It was such a relief to hear that, although I know it's no excuse. I have no excuses. I just have to get over myself and whatever mental blocks I have and get to work.

No comments: