9.05.2008

when it rains, it pours...

these past two weeks have been the busiest and most stressful. of course, getting back into the grind when school starts is always challenging. who really enjoys getting up when it's still dark outside? certainly not my preschooler. this morning, as i turned on his lamp and attempted to gently wake him, he mumbles, "i don't wanna get up, it's night time outside." "but the sun's coming up," i tell him. he turns over in his bed forcing his eyes shut. boy, i know that feeling. i let him rest for a few more minutes as i went to get my shoes on. when i came out of my room and looked down the hall, i noticed he turned off his lamp! i go back to his room and tell him what a silly boy he is. he grins with his eyes closed. i decide to let him rest a bit longer while i go downstairs to get my decaf (i know, what's the point, right?). when i come back to his room, he had bundled himself under his covers. i seriously do not want to move him, poor thing, especially when the next phrase he mutters is, "i don't wanna go to miss cindy's." yup, we're going through some separation anxiety. the only thing i can say that gets him out of bed is, "do you wanna see daddy air up the flat tire in the garage?" he bolts outta bed and has never let me dress him so fast. so, yeah, the tire on our only working car went flat. the beetle dropped a rod, which cracked the head, and is completely shot. this happens the very first week of school, the day after we had to remove our little one from his new preschool because he "wasn't ready." he did so well the first day, i had to drag him out when it was time to leave. the next day, he cried for 15 minutes, and the third day he cried for half an hour and i was called to get him. i had to bring him into my room and see if he would change his mind about going back, which he did NOT. of course he had much more fun playing with my still life objects and decided he'd like to come to work with me every day. daddy was called to pick him up. once he was told he had to go to one of two places, he said, "i wanna stay home with you, mommy." i explained how my students needed me to teach them. "but you're the mommy," he exclaimed, "i want you to stay with me. i don't want you to be a teacher." talk about pulling your heartstrings. to add insult to injury, our downstairs toilet broke the next day. after several days of heavy drinking, i'm still smiling. :)

1 comment:

Serg and Lis said...

Oh Caryn, it kills me that I didn't get to see you!!!!!!! I would have drank with you! ;)