12.06.2008

Thanksgiving

My parents, along with my brother and cousin joined us on Thanksgiving day. We started with pomegranate martinis and had a lovely dinner consisting of roasted butternut squash with cranberries & sage, wild rice pilaf with cranberries & walnuts, an almond & goat cheese tart topped with arugula & balsamic vinegar and a Tofurkey with roasted veggies! It was our first ever Tofurkey, which tasted processed but was edible. The little ball of sustenance, that was supposed to look like a breast roast, was quite hilarious when I unwrapped it from the package. If I wasn't pressed for time, I would have photographed it. Hubby laughed as I drizzled the basting sauce. Everything tasted delicious and healthy, especially with the cabernet my mom brought. I've been trying to do what I can to make sure my parties are as economically and environmentally friendly as possible. I was proud of myself, and my son, who helped me collect some pretty leaves to decorate the table, as you can see. I also bought some pretty bamboo place mats in fall colors and anchored the centerpiece with one of my favorite candles (although I had trouble finding a soy votive that wasn't costly).



My dad & Ginger (Ryan's dog)



I didn't get any group pics of us, but here is Monkey's new best friend:

2 comments:

Lis said...

it all sounds de-lish, minus the sad excuse for a turkey!!! ;)
I don't get what the toy is??? I bet it's something vintage and fun that I will NEVER be able to find in South America!!!???

smoochgirl said...

ha ha! it's a blow-up giraffe that's almost as tall as ethan. my mom found it somwehere as she has a way of finding the most unusual, but cute toys.