4.29.2009

socially retarded

My rant of the day: I absolutely HATE it when you're friendly to someone, particularly a stranger, and they look at you like you just spoke Swahili. I see this almost every day working with high school students, and today, as I greeted one of my students in the hall, he just kind of looked at me like I was an alien. So most of the time I keep looking forward when I walk down the halls. But if I make eye contact, I do my best to give a warm smile, nod or a simple "hi." When someone gives me a genuinely warm smile, it really does make my day. A few weeks ago, I was waiting in the lobby of my doctor's office building for my chauffeur, er, husband, to pick me up and as this really friendly woman was exiting the building, she flashed the prettiest, most sincere smile, that had me grinning from ear-to-ear, which in turn made her grin as she left the building. Smiles really are contagious. I do have my days when I'm in a bad mood and don't want to look at, let alone SMILE at anyone, so I avoid eye contact. Then I feel guilty when someone greets me and I give them a half-ass hello with a fake smile. And they probably go off and write about how much they hate unfriendly people in their blog. I also hate it when clerks in checkout lines don't look you in the eye as they say have a nice day at 10 o'clock at night. And since I'm on the topic of socially inept people, noncommittal people get on my nerves too. People who say, I'll try to come to your party or call you or whatever, meaning you're just not that important enough for me to go out of my way and actually commit. Just what is this world coming to. Show some love, people, show some love.

No comments: