10.13.2010

what dreams are made of

I'm fascinated by dreams and their meaning, even if they really have no significance. I don't often remember my dreams unless I immediately write them down after waking, or if it has a huge emotional impact or makes me think. This morning as my alarm clock sounded, I was dreaming I was in a stark white house that was pretty empty inside. There were windows everywhere covered with a thin, gauzy material and it was dark outside. I had to change shirts and went into a room, also white and empty with windows covered in the same transparent material. I was feeling anxious because it seemed no matter which room I entered, I could not get any privacy, and had an eerie feeling toward the darkness outside. Finally, I thought if I change quickly enough, maybe no one will see, if there is even someone out there. When I came out of the room, "my dog," an adorable doberman, came trotting up to me for some cuddles and all my anxiety subsided.

I don't have any books on how to interpret the dreams, but like to go to this web site that has an A-Z entire dictionary with various themes and what they could represent in your dreams. I knew the house represents the self, but was curious to see what the white interior with transparent window coverings could mean.

The Dream Dictionary has a lot of information on what houses symbolize, but I picked out the statements relative to this particular dream:

"To dream that you are in an empty white room, indicates a fresh start. It is like a blank canvas where you want to start life anew. Alternatively, the dream means that you are trying to isolate yourself. You do not want any outside influences".

"To see a window in your dream, signifies bright hopes, vast possibilities and insight. If the windows of a house is dark, then it indicates a loss in your perception or vitality."

"To see a tinted window in your dream, represents your need for privacy and your ways of getting it. You are keeping aspects of yourself hidden or that you want to remain ambiguous."

Here's what it said about the dog:
"To see a dog in your dream, symbolizes intuition, loyalty, generosity, protection, and fidelity. The dream suggests that your strong values and good intentions will enable you to go forward in the world and bring you success. The dream dog may also represent someone in your life who exhibits these qualities. Alternatively, to see a dog in your dream, indicates a skill that you may have ignored or forgotten. If the dog is vicious and/or growling, then it indicates some inner conflict within yourself. It may also indicate betrayal and untrustworthiness. If the dog is dead or dying, then it means a loss of a good friend or a deterioration of your instincts."

The dog was happy and loyal, so I'm gonna go with "your strong values and good intentions will enable you to go forward in the world and bring you success"

Kind of interesting. I'll interpret it to mean that I'm wanting a fresh start for accomplishing my goals and obtaining success, which I will gain with my strong values and good intentions. I like it.

No comments: